Wednesday, December 21

Mental blockages

Why is it that every time I sit down to write of something that happened to me recently. My mind just goes blank. Is it some kind of mental thing to where my brain just shuts down as soon as I sit down to write something? It has happened to me almost every single time I want to post something. Nothing comes, I'll sit there, write a line then erase it cause it just doesn't come out sounding right.
You see, I sat down here right now to write about the trip to mexico, but my mind just went totally berserk and blanked out on me. It might either be a severe case of writers blockage, or the result of an oncoming headache. Either way, my brain is dead...but I just won't give in, so here I am trying again because I know I'll never write about it if I don't write about it now.

We left around 4pm yesterday afternoon to first drive all the way from Houston to Austin Texas, where we ditched our van and all piled into Nathans vehicle (we all meaning my parents and I, plus our luggage). It wasn't so bad at first, because there were only four of us in the car, but we still had to pick up Nathan and Gabe from somewhere near San Antonio (Brian was driving the vehicle at the time of our switching). So to start out it wasn't all half bad, but then, we found out that we had to stuff more luggage and presents into the already stuffed vehicle, that I could foresee would barely hold us all as is. But stuff we did, more luggage, presents and Nathan and Gabe. All into the van. I got the unfortune seat against the window, where to my horror, I was squished, jolted and crushed. There is nothing that describes the uncomfortable night that I spent in that car. (Needless to say I didn't sleep all that much last night.) I maybe caught perhaps in all 2 hours of sleep in that car, but it was nearly impossible seeing as I had no room to stretch my legs out and they were cramping up horridly, and I had my mother sleeping on my shoulder which squished me into the side of the van, and she had my dad sleeping on her shoulder which squished her into me, and me even further into the side of the van. I was terribly uncomfortable, but I survived.
Around 1:30am everyone decides that its time for breakfast...yes breakfast. They just couldn't possibly wait for a decent hour and decided to stop at the first whataburger they saw. Everyone kept asking me if I was hungry or not. I looked at them as if they were out of their minds and asked "are you kidding? its 1am." To which they replied, "yeh, so? breakfast time." All I could do was shake my head and hope that whatever they were suffering from wasn't contagious. Sadly it was, for I succombed to the slight hunger I felt and decided to get some hash browns. I proceeded to ask my mother for a dollar for them, all she said in response was "don't you have your own allowance to spend?" A impish grin appeared on her face, I laughed in return. Then Gabe feeling sorry for my obvious plight, proceeded to hand me a dollar for my hash browns. Brian and my dad dug change out of their pockets for me as well. Then my mom confessed she was just joking and they could take their money back, she'd give me the dollar. Too late though, it seems that she lost her crown that night because they all flatly refused. (Later they decided that I was the official change collecter and that any extra change would go to me, boy I'm going to be rich!)
Luckily, the trip wasn't as boring as I thought it would be, 20 long hours in a car can be pretty taxing with nothing to do. But my trusty mother brought with her a handy little booklight which I put to good use till the batteries went out right on the last page of my book. Then someone had brought a DVD player and some DVDs. So my mom and I stayed up and watched "Lara Croft The Cradle of Life". After that, we drifted off to sleep. Or at least my mother did, while I was subject to being squished for the rest of the night.
Its strange that when traveling I can either sleep a whole lot, or just barely enough, in this case it was barely enough. But I have have survived thus far.
This morning I had the utter shock while visiting a rest room at one of the many stops we made, that there were no seats on the toilets. I was mortified, here I am, an american girl that has never known a toilet without a toilet seat. Probably the first of culture shock that has hit me since entering mexico. But since there was no where else to go, I gave in and just squatted like every other person did. Why there were no toilet seats, I have no idea, but this mystery must be solved.
Around 10:00am we stopped for a brunch, of fried chicken, biscuits, french fries, and mashed potatoes. Not your all Mexican meal, but it was good. The rest of the day was spent driving, and more driving, and guess what, even more driving.
We finally arrived around 3 or 4 this afternoon, I'm not exactly sure, since I have no time telling device that works right now.

end of boring transmition

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an awful trip, but I"m still insanely jealous that you got to go!! Give everyone my love, lots of hugs, kisses, buy them presents, whatever and tell them it's from me. I love you guys!!

~Boo

Anonymous said...

oh so someone does visit my pathetic blog sometimes. I'm delighted. especially since its my own sister.
I'm sincerely sorry that I didn't see your comment till after c'mas though, so no hope of me getting the parents any presents from "you". Anyhow I came down here with only $10 to my name, and now I'm borrowing from the parents. a sad fate...I know
I love and miss you